The Story of Bottled Water – ESL video lesson
Before you watch a video about the story of bottled water, ask yourself what you know about it?
Where do you take drinkable water from? Do you drink from the tap or do you buy bottled water?
The following video presentation is made by Annie Leonard.
She fights for the environment and leads the movement to change the way we make, use, and throw away Stuff.
For over 15 years she’s been investigating where our Stuff comes from and where it goes when we toss it—along with the environmental and social impacts of that production, consumption, and disposal.
What she found inspired her to create The Story of Stuff Project, which works to give people around the world knowledge to fight for a more sustainable future.
Before watching the video, make sure you understand the meaning of the following words.
1. tap water – water that comes out of a tap in a building
2. ad campaign – advertising campaign
3. to meet consumer demand – to produce as many products as the society needs
4. to level off – to stop becoming more or less, and remain the same
Comprehension and discussion questions
1. According to the speaker, what is a manufactured demand?
2. How does the speaker dispute the statement “Bottled water is the most environmentally responsible consumer product in the world.”
What’s your opinion about it?
3. What solutions does she put forward?
4. Are there any facts that you feel are misleading and you’d like to argue with?