TV series for learning English – a waste of time?
Are you one of the awesome English learners who watch TV-series to improve their skills? Then you already know how much you benefit from this simple activity.
- you get exposed to real, authentic pronunciation and words usage
- you train your listening skills
- you have fun and study at the same time
- how much of the episode do you understand by listening only?
- how much do the pictures help you?
- can you retell any of the dialogs or jokes?
- how many new words have you learnt?
- did you really get that joke that obviously had to be funny?
While watching TV-series is definitely beneficial for learning a foreign language, it is quite a passive activity. It is more about extensive rather than intensive listening.
I’ve decided to try the other side of the coin and created a number of activities to turn watching series into more active learning.
Below you’ll find a presentation with 10 different tasks for the first episode. Let me know what you think.
Here is one more lesson for episode 4.